MPA-B 2011: WELCOME TO THE FIRST EDITION OF THE MONTH OF PERFORMANCE ART-BERLIN
The Month of Performance Art-Berlin (MPA-B) is a month-long, citywide and artist-run platform dedicated to supporting, promoting, interconnecting and celebrating Berlin’s independent, contemporary and experimental performance art scene.
Created, developed and sustained by the collective efforts and resources of artists, activists, curators, producers, organisers, networks and initiators of independent performance art practices, MPA-B is a unique experiment in self-organisation and self-efficacy, against the backdrop of mainstream and funded performing arts structures.
Founded in January 2011, following a meeting hosted by Performer Stammtisch which saw the participation of some of the key players in the city’s performance art scene, MPA-B was born with 5 core objectives at its core:
- to facilitate connections and develop cooperation amongst venues, curators, networks, organisations and other independent players working in the field of performance art;
- to support and draw attention to Berlin’s unique community of performance artists and practitioners whose work challenges, explores and embodies a multiplicity of artistic forms and languages;
- to foster innovative critical discourses, practice-based exchanges and interactions between performance art makers and new audiences;
- to explore and confront new models and methodologies of curating, producing, promoting, sustaining, creating, making, understanding and talking about performance art;
- to document the history of contemporary performance art practices in the city through the annual Berlin Performance Art Report.
In this our 1st edition we are delighted to bring you a variety of performance art spaces, initiatives and artists, all around the city (check our list of participants & locations) who over the course of a month will present experimental and groundbreaking performances to the general and specialised public alike. Most of the MPA-B events are free of charge, open to all and advertised beyond the networks, institutions and channels catering for the traditional art-going public.
We hope you will join us in this new experimental platform dedicated to celebrating the wealth and diversity of independent performance art practices in the city!
MPA-B 2011 TEAM:
Structural organisation/Logistics: Francesca Romana Ciardi, Joel Verwimp, Stefan Riebel and Florian Feigl
Press/PR: Florian Feigl
Fundraising: Joel Verwimp
Graphic Designer: Stefan Riebel
Web Design: Francesca Romana Ciardi
Catalogue Design: Andrea Nicolo